Uveitis requires fast conventional medical treatment to get better and to avoid vision loss. Regular medicines for uveitis can offer symptom relief, however. You can also use common treatments to help treat the fundamental conditions that have led your uveitis, (for example, Crohn’s infection or joint pain) or to help general eye health and overcome inflammation.
Natural options for managing the symptoms include:
- Warm or cool compresses to relieve pain or swelling
- Sunglasses to secure your eyes if they are sensitive to light
- A every day multivitamin
- Vitamin C (500 micrograms twice a day) and vitamin E (100 micrograms twice a day) may reduce symptoms of anterior uveitis when taken together with conventional treatment.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) supplements
- The antioxidants in turmeric (for instance, a standardized extract of turmeric 300 micrograms three times per day) may help the immune system fight chronic uveitis, although more research is required.
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplements or eating cold-water fish
- These can reduce inflammation and boost your immune system.
- Lutein supplements to support general eye health
- A diet that supports eye health
- Focus on antioxidant-rich foods such as blueberries, leafy greens, tomatoes, peppers and cherries.